Saturday, May 26, 2007

Dog Trouble

I posted a few months ago about a run-in Mary and I had in a campground when walking our dogs. That incident involved two pit bulls, but these encounters aren't uncommon, and I'd say I have some kind of incident maybe one in five times I go for a walk.

I took my two Jack Russells for our short, neighborhood loop today and got rushed once again by three big ones up on Loma Linda. One of them is very aggressive, though I think it’s a bluff charge. Still, it scares the hell out of me. I swing my walking stick and yell at them, and they circle and try to make rushes back in. All the time I’m holding my own two on leashes in one hand and trying to keep them out of it. Jack Russells would attack a grizzly, but they wouldn’t last a few seconds, even as tough as they are, against bigger dogs.

So I told the guy who finally came out it wasn’t the first time and would he please keep his dogs under control, and he said “I didn’t even know they were out here.” There are too many good comebacks to that, and I just kept walking.

I looked at cattle prods at a farm supply store once and decided against it because they’re big and I’d feel stupid carrying one around. Still, I wish I could think of a way to drop a dog in its tracks when this happens, leave it twitching and stunned for a few minutes.

I might have another look at cattle prods.

No comments: