Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Alvin Batiste Dies

One of my favorite jazz musicians has died. Alvin Batiste was perhaps better known as a teacher, but his album Late is absolutely terrific. It's one of those of the many hundred I own that gets played regularly.

He was a master on the clarinet, an instrument which was out of fashion for many years. And his music, though mostly in the mainstream, could move decidedly outside without leaving me behind. I hear a strong influence of Coltrane, but he always had his own voice.

He was 74 and died of an apparent heart attack just hours before a scheduled concert at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival.

Think I'll rip Late tonight so I'll have it on my computer. I'm close to doing the iPod thing and will definitely want his tunes in my shuffle.

No comments: