Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Outings

Since I got Big Swede two weeks ago, I’ve only used an ICE (internal combustion engine) a few times. Almost all of my commuting, errands, and recreation have been on the electric bike (or my conventional bike when Mary is riding the Swede). My biggest expense so far has been sunscreen. I estimate fuel savings to be about $50 a week. I’m also counting up the saved maintenance costs associated with frequent short trips in an ICE.

(A note: Pets and sometimes vehicles tend to get new nicknames rather frequently around here. Green Bike was too cute, and the Giant Suede name kind of morphed into Big Swede.)

Despite the big money savings, the best part of Big Swede is that it’s fun. Last Sunday, Mary and I rode the bike path from our house to the small store in Olene (Olene consisting entirely of the small store in Olene), exactly ten miles from home. We took a lunch and bought soft drinks at the store, then ate at a picnic table outside in a shady, grassy spot off the highway. It was a beautiful summer day and a great outing.

Big Swede gets twenty to almost forty miles on a charge, depending on terrain and how much time I spend on cruise, which propels me along at twelve miles per hour without any pedaling. Most car trips are ten miles or less, so I can do the equivalent of two or three car trips on a single charge, which costs about a dime.

I’ve also used the bike for all our shopping over the last two weeks. I bought two folding canvas saddle bags ($70) that just drop in place over the rack and can each hold a full paper shopping bag. When I bought a new coffee maker that came in a big box last week, I strapped it on the rack with bungee cords. Even with this 20-pound grocery load, the bike pulled up our steep hill with only minimal effort.

It’s also great for running errands: downtown to the photo shop, a stop at city hall to ask about some construction a neighbor is planning, maybe a break at the Daily Bagel for a coffee and the newspaper.

Almost everywhere I stop, people ask me about the bike. Most don’t notice that it’s electric; they just say, “nice bike.” And I say, “Thanks, it’s electric,” and then they get really interested and I try not to get too over-zealousy about it but usually I can’t help myself.

One guy, a fireman, took it all in for a moment then said, “Hey, you’re beating the system!” And I thought about it for a few seconds and said, “I am beating the system.”

No comments: