Thursday, February 16, 2012

Is the sun setting on Midnight Sun?



 A few weeks ago I signed up on Facebook, mostly to keep in contact with some jazz fans and musicians I know electronically from around the country.  Of course, I also quickly Friended up with a bunch of politicos who mostly share my leftist leanings. 

I’m finding I love Facebook because of the rapid-fire interchanges and the frequent opportunities to jump into a conversation.  Most posts are links to something else on the web, much of which I find interesting.  I don’t really care what someone had for dinner tonight.  (I actually slow-cooked some ribs in my Crockpot with a sesame-ginger marinade last night, but I don’t consider that newsworthy.  Although, I must say, those were some killer ribs.)

The possible downside to this is that I haven’t felt any impulse to write more extended, thoughtful pieces for my blog.  It’s a tradeoff, I guess: I like to write, and the blog is a venue for getting published, although I’ve never had more than a handful of readers.  Still, that handful has sometimes been very appreciative, and it’s gratifying to spend a day or more on a single piece and then hear back from someone that they enjoyed it. 

In the end I suppose it comes down to what I feel like doing.  If I can say it in less than fifty words, it goes on Facebook.  If it takes more than an hour or so to write, it goes here.  Since I’m fundamentally a lazy person, I’ll probably be posting a lot more to Facebook than I will here. 

Sign up and let’s be Friends!




No comments: