Tuesday, September 09, 2008

We're going in!

Everything is a go for surgery tomorrow. Mary and I met with my urologist yesterday, and like all surgeons, he was able to put us at ease and develop a warm, personal relationship in our brief time together. For example, he told us my heart is fine and there was no problem going ahead with the operation. He could have told us this a week ago after my repeated calls to his medical assistant (what in hell is a medical assistant, anyway?), but he chose to tell us in a warm, personal way when we finally met him in his examination room. I always appreciate this kind of warm, personal treatment from surgeons.

Mary and I had a three-page list of questions, and as Mary read them, one by one, he briefly set aside some paper work he was doing to respond with admirably warm but concise answers. After a minute or two of this, he took the questions and answered them one by one in his warm, reassuring manner:

“Yes.”

“No.”

“Depends.”

“Depends.”

“Depends.”

“Everyone’s different.”

“Depends.”

He made a little check mark next to each question so we’d remember later that he’d answered it.

What I look for in a surgeon, though, is someone who can cut and stitch with absolute precision, and this guy has a good reputation. His personal warmth is just a side benefit, and a surprise one at that in someone whom I would describe as a “Type Triple-A Personality.” Since he knew what we were going to say anyway, he never made us actually finish a sentence.

So, I’m going in tomorrow about noon and hope to be out the next day. I’m anxious to get on with it. I’ve stocked up on some audio books, which might be easier than actually reading if I’m a little goofy for a few days. I got Anna Karenina in case recovery goes a little slower than I expect. I tried to get Solzhenitsyn's Cancer Ward, but they were out of stock.

I should be walking right after surgery, walking around the neighborhood in a few days, and mostly back to my old self in a few weeks. Maybe a few months. No motorcycles for a month, he said, which is a bummer, but does leave a little riding time at the end of fall. Incontinence and impotence, well, I’m optimistic, but everyone’s different, and it depends. (I’m not stocking up on Depends yet.)

And cancer free, I fully expect.

Get your PSA tests, guys.

No comments: