Monday, August 04, 2008

With a little help from my friends

Mary and I saw Joe Cocker at the Britt Festival last night, and I’ve got to say, the old guy has his chops. He’s lost most of the spastic intensity of his physical performance and just a little off his range, but I still love his covers of mostly Beatles songs, along with Randy Newman’s deliciously racy “You Can Leave Your Hat On.”

But his signature song is “With a Little Help From My Friends,” and it brought a few tears to my ears, in part because of the few troubles I’m facing in my own life right now. In part because I'm a sappy sentimentalist.

For a somewhat doctored and very humorous clip of his legendary Woodstock performance of that song in 1969, check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4_MsrsKzMM I almost went to Woodstock, but that's a story for another time.

It was a perfect evening for an outdoor concert, with mild temperatures and wild geese circling in to land in the ponds around the amphitheater. And thousands of aging baby boomer rock and roll fans like Mary and me still getting up to dance now and then to the anthems of those years that seem both far away and still very near.

Steve Miller Band also played, also very good though they were never a band I particularly followed. We drove back to our trailer that we'd camped on the Rogue River and had broiled steaks and microwaved mashed potatoes at midnight, a perfect evening.

No comments: