Friday, August 29, 2008

The new Democratic Party

I watched most of the major speeches from the Democratic convention this week, and like many others, I was often moved to tears by their eloquent rhetoric and fighting spirit. Hillary Clinton was forceful and gracious in her endorsement of Barack Obama. Bill Clinton gave an even more compelling and stirring speech. And to my surprise, John Kerry gave the best speech of the night and of his career on Wednesday: rousing, inspiring, and tough.

For too long, Democrats have been on the defensive, and for me it’s thrilling to hear our leaders speak movingly and without apology about our core values. Although the bar seemed impossibly high for Barack in his acceptance speech last night, he spoke with grace and power. I was moved not only by his words, but by the fact that in my lifetime I was watching an African American candidate accept the nomination of my party to be president of the United States.

Republicans and especially right-wing talk radio hosts have worked determinedly to demonize the word “liberal” for decades. No convention speaker used the word “liberal,” or even its euphemism “progressive” at the convention, but every speaker was clear on our message of compassion, activism, and the proper role of government in facing the challenges of the new American century. I was especially moved by the fierce patriotism of the speakers, a patriotism that goes beyond flag waving and bellicose pronouncements of our military superiority. As Kerry said, “Other countries are inspired more by the power of our example than by the examples of our power.”

It’s going to be a tough election, but I’m cautiously elated at the prospect of a Democratic President working with a newly energized Democratic Congress. Putting our principles to work in a complex world will be an enormous challenge, but at this moment for me, the sun shines brightly on the American Experiment.

History has already been made.

No comments: