Monday, September 26, 2011

No, I don't ride a Harley

I've been making some format changes to my blog, something I've discovered is fairly easy to do and makes for a more interesting and inviting look (I hope).  I can't get it exactly the way I want yet, but I'm still working on it.

Since these are the first changes I've ever made, I got interested in my first post and went back and found it had the title I'm using again here. I still like the original post.  The only thing that I would add is that the best question to ask if I say I ride a motorcycle is not "What kind of bike do you ride?" but "What do you like about riding?"

 I notice that my blog is now a little over five years old.  It's a wonderful opportunity to write about anything I want, whether serious or comic, and I enjoy the thought that single-digits of people are reading me.  Actually, I can now track how many people are reading me and sometimes even who they are, or if they're only a web-bot out searching for prey.  Turns out I get a lot more hits that I thought, although most of these are probably the result of Google hits when somebody searches, for example, for Guanajuato.

Still, I get the occasional email with a comment.  Generally, I think most people don't like to add comments to the blog itself because, well, it's not their blog.  I feel the same way when I'm on other people's blogs.

I can spend a remarkable amount of time on one of these posts and usually I never know if I've written anything of worth or not, what poet Lawrence Ferlinghetti called "constantly risking absurdity" (in the poem of the same name).

"What do you like about writing?"  I'll have to think about it.  Back to you in five years.


3 comments:

Mary said...

"constantly risking absurdity" What an absolutely marvelous way to describe blogging. In fact, I'd say it could be applied to any creative endeavor. I like your new format/background.

ross said...

I've long been fascinated by the idea. Actually, another poet used it before Ferlinghetti, but I lost the name and reference. F., however, made it famous. You can find the poem easily through Google.

I think it applies to pretty much everything we do publicly in life. Privately, who's watching?

ross said...

Actually, use this link to the original poem.
http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/184167
It's important to get the line breaks right.