Thursday, December 03, 2009

Small world

Mary and I exchanged Christmas presents yesterday. Actually, we both kept the one we had bought for the other. We gifted each other (why not make another new verb? It’s all the thing to do) a pair of Kindles, and when we opened them, we found we had to register them if they came as a gift, but they were already registered to the gifter, not the giftee, so we said, well hell, let’s just keep our own.

Not very Christmasy (also written “Christmas-y”),but each year I try to move a little further away from any recognition of Christmas as a special day. Part of this has to do with not being a Christian and resenting this imposed holiday, part is a rejection of the commercialization of Christmas. Part is protecting myself from the melancholy of not being eight-years-old anymore.

But hell, I still want some presents.

I’m very enthused about the Kindle and have wanted one since I read a little about the new features, which include a dictionary that allows instant access to definitions as you read. “Bumptious” is now in my active vocabulary, and pretty soon I’ll be sounding like George Will or the recently departed William F. Buckley even. Also, by searching for a name in the current document, you can almost instantly generate an in-order list of all the references to a single character, which should come in handy when I’m reading mysteries because usually when the bad guy comes back on the stage in the last pages and has our hero at gunpoint in an isolated warehouse, I can’t remember who this bad guy is. Of course, it’s almost always a minor character from page forty-three whom I’ve completely forgotten. So now, I can search and go back to page forty-three and remind myself that he was the doorman that the crime boss whispered to as he was entering the banquet surrounded by bodyguards.

Ah ha!

I’ve already downloaded a couple of books, plus the New Yorker, which is not available here in my little town, and today’s Washington Post just to see what the Kindle version looks like.

This is a very practical tool for us as we prepare to head out on our winter travels to the Southwest:

Pioneers! O Pioneers!

COME my tan-faced children,
Follow well in order, get your weapons ready,
Have you your pistols? have you your sharp-edged axes?

Damn straight we do, and our Arctic Fox travel trailer and Dodge ¾ ton pickup with the Cummins diesel, and now two Kindles so we’ll have very expanded access to books, newspapers,and magazines as we travel mostly in the backcountry of parks and national monuments. We’ll have cell phone reception much of the time, which allows Kindle shopping and downloads, but few bookstores or WI-FI, where we can get the news online.

So I’m feeling pretty good about my new gadget and our trip coming up when I’m watching Colbert last night, and his guest is author Sherman Alexie. I’ve heard of him. Turns out he’s a Native American from the Spokane area, growing up there about the time Mary and I lived there in the late 70s. Also, the film Smoke Signals, which I’ve admired here in earlier posts, is based on one of his short stories, and he wrote the screen play. Small world, I’m thinking.

I’m pretty interested in the guy by now and ready to cue him up on my Kindle, but it turns out the whole interview is about how much he hates Kindle and how it’s destroying the relationship between authors and their readers, not to mention the independent bookstores (I’ve got some bad news here for Sherman, Kindle or not), and in fact finally destroying the printed word itself. Pretty soon, there won’t be anything left but downloads, which will offer a hugely reduced number of titles mostly falling within the bestseller category.

Again, have I got news, but still.

So Sherman won’t allow his books to be digitized, doesn’t want them getting all digit-y, and I had to go to Amazon and order the hardcopies, and I’m not sure I see such a big difference between which Amazon department I order from.

Actually, I share all these concerns but I don’t think there’s anything we can do to change much. Better maybe to try to find a way to ride the wave. Technology is now a force of nature as powerful as climate change and about as immediate as a massive meteor strike. Goodbye to the daily newspaper, the network news team, and now the local bookstore. I will miss them all if I live long enough, but actually, I think I’m about the perfect age to have enjoyed the best of everything life and human progress have had to offer, and I mostly won’t be around when the bills come due.

Meanwhile, I downloaded Anna Karenina for free to my Kindle. (It’s public domain now, so I might finally get around to reading it. Sorry, Leo.) And I have four more new books on there, plus a couple of magazines.

I’m really killing the publishing industry.

4 comments:

Broschat said...

Congratulations, and welcome to Kindle Town. Of course, Mary always had a Sony, and I'm not sure there's much difference.

One aspect that might make a big difference for many folks is the ability to make the type any of about 7 sizes. As a near-sighted guy, I don't have this problem but most folks our age seem to.

ross said...

I think Mary's Sony Reader was the first thing of its kind, so although she made some good use of it, it was never excellent. Kindle is definitely a superior product over the early Readers.

Pring size has been a huge issue for me. There are a number books I've started but didn't finish because the print was just too small. So far, I'm doing fine with Kindle's default size.

Unknown said...

You wrote: I try to move a little further away from any recognition of Christmas as a special day. Part of this has to do with not being a Christian and resenting this 1)(imposed) holiday, part is a rejection of the 2) commercialization of Christmas. Part is protecting myself from the melancholy of 3) not being eight-years-old anymore.

My comment:
1) Santa, presents, holly, mistletoe, decorated trees, etc are not Christian, but fun things that the world has added to make a festive time. Instead of Santa, you could remember the man, Nicholas, who became known throughout the land for his generosity to those in need, his love for children, and his concern for sailors and ships.
Halloween is more intrusive and imposing then any celebration of Christmas. It is one time when behaving wrong is acceptable (a statement made by some teenagers).

2) If you were not a Christian then why would the commercialization of Christmas bother you? You need not participate. It would be no more than the overindulgence of many at a fast food restaurant. I do not celebrate Halloween.

3) Once I was alone over Christmas. I still had fun because I chose to. I fixed a simple, but special dinner just for me on Christmas Eve and watched a movie. I went for a walk on Christmas morning. The air was clean and brisk. Although, I enjoy the family activities of Christmas, that too was most enjoyable. I enjoy my childhood memories as I think about them. And although, I am not a child anymore, I fine excitement in giving a gift to a child who has little. I have given lap blankets to older folks at Christmastime not to celebrate Christmas, but to share in the act of giving.

Spring is a time for new life so I let my children hunt for eggs. They do not have candy in them, but may have a special message or clue to the brunch table. We do not have baskets filled with candy, etc.
I am a Christian and celebrate Resurrection Day remembering Christ rising from the dead
after suffering a horrible death so I could have forgiveness.

A group of Atheists said that they hated that Thanksgiving was considered a Christian holiday. Their attitudes were negative and bitter. Having a turkey dinner is nothing like the celebration of the Pilgrims so long age and can be carried out in as many ways as there are people. Christians can thank God for their blessings, but someone else can thank their boss, their neighbor, a family member, a friend, or whomever, or they don’t have to thank anyone and still enjoy a festive meal. Thanksgiving can come and go without acknowledgement. The point is that one should have the choice. Christians are being told that they can’t say, Merry Christmas, it is Happy Holiday. Holiday is vague and not saying which one. You can be thankful that you do not have to celebrate or that you have the choice to not believe. Enjoy or don’t. It is your choice.

Robyn
rdlsemail@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hey,Robyn,

Merry Christmas!

ross