Tuesday, June 16, 2009

¡Qué romántico!

Last Saturday, June 13th, was Mary’s birthday, and since we were also celebrating her retirement, I organized a surprise party for her at the local Thai restaurant. Somehow, I managed to keep it a secret, though I almost said something about “your party” a couple of times in the days before.

About twenty friends and colleagues joined us, bringing thoughtful gifts and cards, sweet or silly. (Who knew there is a whole line of naked cowgirl cards?) My surprise gift was a trip to Hawaii, Kauai to be specific, so I made her close her eyes while I put a lei around her neck and on her head.

It was made of real flowers and was cold, so it probably felt like a snake until she got to open her eyes.

We leave next Monday for a five-day vacation, a bit of a second honeymoon for us. In fact, our first honeymoon didn’t happen for close to a year after we were married and consisted of a camping trip to Oregon where it rained most of the time, so really this is more like a first honeymoon.

¡Qué romántico!

No comments: