Monday, March 30, 2009

Give this girl a kiss

A few weeks back, the local paper ran a rant to the editor about how overpaid and underworked teachers are, not to mention the outrageous benefits we get. I rarely read these letters, let alone respond, but I was moved to write a column in response. The paper ran it.

Today, I got an email as follows from a young teacher. 'bout made my day:

Dear Dr. Carroll,

I wanted to write and thank you for your encouraging article in Sunday’s paper. I am a first year teacher and have been overly stressed this last week as the reality of layoffs has become apparent. I completed my bachelor’s in applied psychology at OIT and completed my master’s at SOU last July. It was a difficult summer, completing a very expensive degree, giving birth in June, having a husband return to school to also become a teacher, and no prospects of a job.

Fortunately, I was given the opportunity to become an ESL teacher for a K-12 school. I had no background in ESL, let alone experience with secondary level students,and wasn’t quite sure what I was getting into. Although this year has been a challenge, I LOVE MY JOB! I love everything about it. The long hours, difficult students, low pay, catastrophic loan payments, and the fact that I will need to complete 24 more graduate level credits to attain my ESOL endorsement to keep my job are all worth it.

I know I am making a difference in the lives of students everyday, and the frustrating part is that I am still not guaranteed that I will survive potential layoffs. Your article has expressed everything I wish the public to consider about our profession. I could have easily applied to be in a nursing, dental, or radiological program, but teaching is truly my passion. I have never worried about the money, but now that there is a fear of losing my job, I can’t help but to feel frustrated. Your words hit close to home and have made me feel a little bit more appreciated in these dismal times.

Thank you for advocating.

Sincerely,

Ashley Spivey

No comments: