Friday, April 20, 2007

Spring ride

Spring has arrived in the Klamath Basin with its usual mix of cold weather, rain, wind, and an occasional snow. When the weather is like this and you love a good motorcycle ride, you have to jump on it when the sun comes out.

One day last week, my friend Jim Stewart called early in the morning and asked if I wanted to go for a ride somewhere. Absolutely!

Jim has a new BMW K1200 RS and we rode from Klamath Falls over to Medford together. The roads were clear of snow but dirty. I was taking it pretty easy, which was a good thing because a turkey flew across the road in front of me. It wasn’t even a close call, but we always have to be on the lookout for wildlife when we ride around here. Deer are the usual close call. I would not want my obit to read "killed by a turkey," though I suppose that could always happen. There are a lot of turkeys out there, though this is my first incident with one that had feathers.
We stopped at Hanson’s Motorcycles in Medford, where I got to drool over several new bikes. I’m not seriously thinking about anything new. My VFR is a great motorcycle and still has low miles. Still, there are close to a dozen new bikes on the market that I can get excited about.

We had lunch in Ashland, then went down I-5 over the Siskiyous to the Klamath River Road. We rode in about fifty miles, then took a short break and rode back home. Probably about 250-mile day.

Jim with his new new K1200RS

The pace got brisk in places, breaking 100 on the straights and pretty fast through the turns. Then we got stuck behind a guy in a car, and I was just starting to get wizzy because he wouldn't pull over to let us pass when a CHP went by coming towards us. I figure God put that car there to spare me an expensive ticket. Thank you, Jesus!

Today, it's cold and rainy again, but that's spring in Oregon. I hang around motorcycle web forums and plan trips. I really should do some dusting.

No comments: